LACROSSE GAMES IN SOUTH

Aided Development of University Team.--Won Once 4-2, Lost Twice 3-2.

Three games were played by the University lacrosse team on its southern trip. The Naval Academy was defeated 4 to 2, but Johns Hopkins and the Mount Washington Club both defeated Harvard 3 to 2. The game with Stevens Institute, scheduled for Saturday, had to be cancelled, on account of rain.

The work of the team on the trip was very encouraging, as the three teams played were the strongest in the south. The defence throughout was compact and effective. The offence has improved in speed and team-work and with the return of Blackett, who was unable to take the trip, it should become very strong. In all its games the team showed itself able to score goals, Gustafson making three, Fitts two, and Candee, Earle, and Parker each one in the three contests.

In the game with Johns Hopkins on April 15 the team was handicapped by the trip down. At the end of the first half the score was 1 to 0 against the University team. In the second half Harvard improved and both sides scored twice. Brightman's quick guarding was excellent, and prevented a number of goals.

The game at Annapolis was played in a driving rain, which made fast work difficult. Nash at third defence and Webber at second defence did good work at passing and carrying the ball. During the first half most of the playing was in Harvard's territory, the period ending with the score 2 to 1 in the Navy's favor. In the second half the Navy's goal was constantly in danger and Harvard scored three times.

In the game with Mount Washington Club on April 17, Harvard again started poorly but showed great improvement in the second half, although was unable to make up for the advantage gained by Mount Washington in the first half. The feature of the game was the score by Fitts just as the whistle blew at the end of the game.

The line-up used in the games was as follows: Brightman, g.; Simmons, p., Washburn, Hutchinson, c.p.: Hale, 1d., Webber, 2d.: Nash, 3d.; Foristall, c. Gustafson, 3a.; Fitts, 2a.; Beatley, 1a, Parker, Candee, c.h.; Earle, i.h.