THE STREETS OF CAMBRIDGE.

During the last two years and more the streets of Cambridge lying within University precincts have been allowed to go from bad to worse without the least effort on the city's part to keep them in repair. In reply to repeated complaints, the street department states that conditions are no worse near the College than elsewhere in the city, but this seems scarcely tenable, Quincy street throughout its entire length, and Kirkland and Oxford streets where fronted by University grounds, are in a deplorable state, uneven and with crossings several inches above the proper level, while Trowbridge and Craigie streets are, comparatively speaking, in good repair. The condition of Dunster street and Boylston as far out as the Stadium, and of those streets around the Post Office block is disgraceful, even making every allowance for the wear occasioned by subway construction. In fact it seems that the city takes no interest in the upkeep of ways chiefly used by College men, Bow street and Massachusetts avenue being further examples of this. In winter the crossings are but carelessly cleared and in summer watering carts are rarely seen.

Did Harvard men vote in Cambridge such a state of things could not long exist, for no city department would find it possible to maintain itself under conditions as existing. Being powerless at election times, we can do little or nothing.

It has been argued that as a non-taxpaying institution the University has slight claim on the city, but it should not be forgotten that the high assessment of property occupied by dormitories is made possible only by the substantial rents that students pay. Direct taxation we do not have, but indirectly we contribute our full share, and it is certainly not unreasonable to expect consideration at least equal to that accorded residential districts.