UNIVERSITY TEAM SHUT OUT

Princeton's Batting and Fielding Gave Them 5 to 0 Victory.

The University baseball team was shut out by Brown at Providence yesterday afternoon by the score of 2 to 0. Nourse, the opposing pitcher, allowed but two hits, one in the first inning and another in the eighth.

Hartford started the game in the box for the University team. He struck out six men in the first two innings. But in the third, with two men on bases, Raymond, the Brown captain, knocked out a two-bagger to left field, bringing in the only runs of the game. Hartford retired the side in order in the fourth, and in the next inning was replaced by Hicks. Hicks allowed but one hit and gave no bases. The umpire was very unsatisfactory on balls and strikes, and in the first inning called Harvey out at the plate on a questionable decision. The loss of the game was entirely due to the team's inability to hit Nourse.

The game opened promisingly for the University team. Lanigan hit the second ball pitched to right centre for a single. He stole second and Harvey was given his base on balls. Brown advanced both runners a base by a sacrifice. Aronson then hit to the short-stop, who threw Lanigan out at the plate. Aronson and Harvey tried a double steal, but the latter was called out by the umpire on a throw from the second baseman to the catcher.

Brown got a man to third in the same inning on a single and a passed ball. He was left, however, as Hartford struck out the next two men. The University team went out in order in the second, third, fourth, and fifth innings. Twice men got to first on passes only to be thrown out trying to steal second.

The scoring occurred in the third inning. Nourse got his base on balls but was out on a fielder's choice that left Giles safe at first. Giles in turn, however, went out on a fast play from Briggs to Simons on Nash's attempted sacrifice. Dennie drew another pass that advanced Nash to second. Raymond then drove the ball to left field just out of Dana's reach, sending two runs over the plate. Staff followed with a hit to centre, but Harvey by a splendid throw to Brown prevented another run.

Twice after that Brown had a man on base but in neither case came near scoring: Briggs fumbled a grounder in the sixth, allowing Dennie to reach first. The next man sacrificed, but the runner was left on second after two fast plays, an unassisted put-out on first by Briggs and a catch of a liner by Harvey. Hicks struck out the first two men in the next inning and then Nourse singled to right centre. A pop fly to Simons ended the inning. In the eighth Dana made a fine catch of Raymond's long drive to left, ending Brown's times at bat.

Harvard got one man to base in each of the last two innings. With two out in the eighth, Simons singled to right, but was left when Hicks struck out. Lanigan opened the ninth by reaching first on the first baseman's error. Harvey struck out and Currier, who went in to bat for Brown, followed suit. Aronson landed on the ball hard, but the right fielder made a spectacular running catch close to the foul line, ending the game.

The summary:

Left on bases--Harvard 4, Brown 4. Two-base hit--Raymond. Sacrifice hits--Brown, Raymond. Stolen bases--Lanigan 2. Bases on balls--Off Hartford: 2 in 4 innings; Off Nourse; 4. Struck out--By Hartford: Orcutt 2, Nash, Raymond, Staff, Regnier, Clark; by Hicks; Clark, Orcutt; by Nourse: Harvey 3, Simons 2, Hicks 2, Currier, MacLaughlin, Briggs, Hartford. Hits--Off Hartford: 3 in 4 innings; off Hicks: 1 in 4 innings. Passed ball--Brown. Umpire--Hackett. Time--1h., 45m.

*Batted for Brown in the ninth.

The team leaves tonight at 8 o'clock on the Federal express to play the second game with Princeton. Arriving at Princeton tomorrow morning, practice will be held on the Princeton field in the forenoon. After lunch the team will go by way of Philadelphia to Pottstown, Pa., where it will spend the night at Hill School. Early Saturday morning it will return to Princeton. The game will be called at 3 o'clock. The team will leave for New York the same evening and will arrive in Cambridge Sunday morning. In case a third game with Princeton is necessary, the team will go to New York Tuesday afternoon and return Wednesday night.

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lanigan, 3b.  3  0  1  0  0  0Harvey, c.f.  3  0  0  1  1  0Brown, c.  1  0  0  10  0  0Aronson, r.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0MacLaughlin, 2b.  3  0  0  2  3  0Dana, l.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0Briggs, 1b.  2  0  0  6  1  1Simons, s.s.  3  0  1  3  1  0Hartford, p.  1  0  0  0  0  0Hicks, p.  2  0  0  0  0  0*Currier,  1  0  0  0  0  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  26  0  2  24  6  1BROWN.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Nash, s.s.  4  1  0  2  3  0Dennie, c.f.  3  1  1  1  0  0Raymond, c.  3  0  1  11  2  0Staff, l.f.  3  0  1  0  0  0Regnier, 2b.  3  0  0  2  3  0Clark, r.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0Orcutt, 3b.  3  0  0  0  1  0Nourse, p.  2  0  1  0  2  0Giles, 1b.  3  0  0  10  1  1  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals,  27  2  4  27  12