THE UNION.

Ten years ago Major Higginson dedicated the Union as "a house open to all Harvard men without restriction and in which they all stand equal." To belong to the Union is one of the opportunities that comes with membership in the University. To those who are here for the first time this year, the following outline of the Union's place in College life is particularly addressed.

For mass meetings, class smokers and gatherings of a large number of undergraduate organizations the Union is the recognized centre. Its library not only possesses the standard works in English, but is sufficiently endowed to purchase the best of the new publications as they appear. Magazines and newspapers from all sections of the country are kept on file. During the year there are always important and interesting lectures by men of national reputation, and many readings and undergraduate musical entertainments. Last year Secretary of the Navy Meyer, President Eliot and Mr. Hopkinson Smith were among the speakers. The restaurant furnishes excellent fare at a moderate cost, and until the opening of the new Varsity Club, the various training tables will make it their headquarters.

More important than the material needs that the Union supplies, are the occasions afforded within its walls for intercourse and comradeship between fellow students. For a week at least the Union will be open to the entire University; thereafter only to members. The fee for the year is ten dollars--not a small sum, but one well invested by everyone who can use the Union and do his share to make it a greater force for democratic fellowship, loyalty and unity in College life.