At a meeting of the Board of Overseers held yesterday morning gifts to the University amounting to considerably over $300,000 were accepted. Among the largest was a gift of $100,000 from the class of 1876. The letter which accompanied the donation follows:
To the President and Fellows of Harvard College:
The class of 1886 of Harvard College at this the twenty-fifth anniversary of graduation, offers to the University a gift as a token of the loving respect of the class and as a sign of its abiding faith in the efforts of the officers and teachers of the University in behalf of education, citizenship and character.
To this gift 154 of the class have contributed and among them are counted six who have passed from the active list, but whose relatives have joined with the living members in evidence of a desire to keep unbroken the ranks of this company of Harvard scholars and in appreciation of the opportunity for service which the gift affords.
The class desires that the gift which consists of $100,000 in cash freely and gladly given shall be designated as the "Class of 1886 Gift," that the principle shall be permanently invested with the general funds of the University, that the income, and only the income shall be used for the benefit of Harvard College as distinguished from Harvard University, and that there shall be no other restriction. (Signed) JOHN H. HUDDLESTON, Class Secretary.
Another of the donations was a bequest of $25,000 from W. J. Riley '05 for the foundation of a scholarship to be known as the "Clement Harlow Condell Scholarship," given in memory of C. H. Condell, of the class of 1907.
Mrs. Collis P. Huntington of New York has given $50,000 toward the construction of the cancer hospital at the Medical School.