THE FOOTBALL SEASON OPENED.

With the exception of a few minor alternations, the football rules as revised summer before last remain unchanged. As expressed by Coach Haughton in his article explaining the work of the rules committee, "the underlying purpose of the new rules was to minimize the element of danger in the game." Although football casualties have not been unheard of since then, it is safe to say that at the end of last season public opinion considered that the committee had successfully fulfilled its purpose.

The University team plays today the same opponents that it faced in the first game of last season. The individual players will line up physically less hardened than their predecessors of last year, owing to the fact that this year there was no preliminary drilling to correspond with the two weeks spent last September at Frazier's Island before the practice in Cambridge began. Thus, although so good a showing may not reasonably be expected in the first game, the improvement should be more marked from now on, and there should be less danger of an overtrained team on the day of the Yale game. With two big games ahead instead of one, Captain Fisher and his men face a schedule considerably harder than for several years past. At every step of their progress the sympathy and enthusiastic interest of the University will be with them.