"TO SWIM OR NOT TO SWIM."

There has been of late a very strong desire among certain members of the University to see Harvard again in the field of intercollegiate swimming. Whether this feeling is sufficiently wide-spread to justify the formation of recognized University and Freshman teams, will depend upon the numbers at the meeting tonight and the enthusiasm shown.

A number of years ago we did have a swimming team in which there was a real and general interest. But the interest waned and in 1910 the Athletic Committee felt no longer justified in considering it representative of the best that Harvard could do in that sport. We attribute the poor success of the team and the consequent lack of interest to the very poor facilities then available for practice. There may have been other underlying causes, but we hope not. Now we have at our very door opportunity for practice in the new Y. M. C. A. tank as good as we could desire, and if the lack of a tank was all that prevented our success in swimming before, certainly now that success should appear guaranteed.

The Athletic Committee has had to abolish the swimming team once, and we may expect that swimming will not be recognized again until it is reasonably certain of having the continued interest of undergraduates. If this interest really exists, however, the Committee can not and will not fail to recognize it. If we are ever to have a swimming team, now is the time for every man interested to come forward.