NEW ENGLAND'S EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS.

(Boston Transcript).

The story that comes from the colleges of New England, now that they have once more opened their doors, is the usual one of increasing prosperity. It is much too early, of course, to obtain definite registration figures, but it may be said that, with two notable exceptions, all of our institutions of higher learning have made gains in enrolment. Harvard's Freshman class is larger and more representative than ever before. The University's attempt to attract to its halls men from the West and from the public high schools in general is surely proving successful. Yale expects about two hundred more students than it had last year. At Wellesley, Tufts, Dartmouth, Bates, Colby, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Vermont, Boston University, in fact at all colleges except Williams and Amherst, registration this year is larger than ever before. Williams has an unusually small entering class, but no explanation of the decrease has been given. It may be that the college is experiencing one of those depressions that come some time to all institutions, or it may be that the curriculum controversy has had its effect. Amherst's incoming class is small, but the college authorities declare that it is exceptionally well prepared, indicating that higher standards of scholarship will soon prevail. Many of the colleges have had important additions to material equipment during the summer, and all signs point to a successful year for New England.