THE UNION IN UNIVERSITY LIFE.

In order to make the Union more efficient than ever before and to increase its potent influence in bringing together all members of the University, the present governing board is bending every energy toward making membership in this democratic institution most alluring. In the words of its founder, the Union is "a house open to all Harvard men without restriction and in which they all stand equal--a house bearing no name forever except that of our University." It is to this end--"to make the house open to all Harvard men and in which they all stand equal"--that the present governing board is making every effort.

In order to accomplish this purpose the number of entertainments has been increased considerably. Every Friday evening there will be music in the Living Room as an opportunity for informal gatherings, and in addition the Delta Upsilon, the Hasty Pudding Club, and the Pi Eta Society have all tentatively agreed to present one performance each of their annual plays. These features have been added to the regular concerts and pop-nights given by the Pierian Sodality and Musical Clubs, to the lectures by prominent men, and to readings given by Professor Copeland. Certainly the preparations for the year promise to make it the most successful the Union has ever enjoyed.

In one particular, however, the governing board seems to have overlooked an opportunity for improvement, and that is in regard to lectures by prominent members of the Faculty. A desire which Harvard students have continually expressed and scarcely ever had gratified has been to come into closer touch with various prominent professors outside the classroom. Here is an opportunity to fulfill that desire by means of Union lectures, and to bring students into more intimate relations with the great teachers whose personalities are so impressive and talks so inspiring.

All in all, however, the Union is now, more than ever before, fulfilling the purpose of its foundation. In a university of such magnitude as Harvard the existence of some central institution is imperative in order to gather up the various threads of undergraduate life and to bring all together in social, democratic understanding. This function is exactly what the Union is now doing, and for this reason every student in the University should contribute his mite to its success by joining its membership list and participating in its democratic life.