DEBATING COUNCIL MEETING

Plans for Year to be Discussed.--Schedule is Announced.

The Harvard Debating Council will hold its first meeting of the year in Upper Dane this afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. Means for improving the management of the Freshman Debating Society will be considered, and there will be a discussion on the history of debating in the University. The society proposes to publish this history in pamphlet form. Judge A. P. Stone '93 of the English Department, who has long been intimately connected with University forensic activities, will speak.

The Freshman Debating Society will be organized next Monday. The schedule of the Council for the coming year is as follows:

November 10, Interclass debate; December 15, Pasteur Medal debate; March 1, Triangular debate with Yale and Princeton; May 10, Freshman Triangular debate. The interest, however, will be centered as usual around the University event.

The Council proposes to institute this year a system of interclass debates,--something entirely new in the University. There will be two trials for each team; from the first, open to anyone except a member of the University team, six men will be retained; these six will debate against each other, leaving three men to comprise the team. The Freshmen and Sophomores will meet, also the Juniors and Seniors: finally the winning teams from these two competitions will contest for the championship. The series will begin November 10.