UNIVERSITY PREACHERS IN WADSWORTH HOUSE.

One of the rarest privileges offered to Harvard men is the opportunity to meet and talk with the University preachers who are in Wadsworth House daily from nine until eleven o'clock. The men who come to Appleton Chapel during the course of the year are generally of unusual renown in their calling and prominent in the intellectual life of the country. Notwithstanding the unusual value of the privilege to come into personal contact with such men, it cannot be said the students avail themselves of it to any significant extent. Whenever prominent men visit us to speak upon the political or social questions of the day, they generally attract extremely large audiences. Consequently, that we should fail to meet men so prominent in the religious sphere is indeed difficult to understand.

Perhaps the explanation may lie in a few misconceived ideas. Many students, for instance, undoubtedly feel that the Chapel preachers would not care to discuss the purely mundane subjects in which they are interested. Yet no belief could be more erroneous, for these college preachers consider it a privilege both to meet as many college men as possible and to talk over with them subjects of the latters' own choosing. Probably no one of these men is visited more than Dr. Lyman Abbott, who spends most of his time, when he is in Wadsworth House, discussing journalism. Nor should a spirit of diffidence keep students from enjoying a privilege which is extended in so generous a spirit. To think that they will appear too forward if they pay a visit to Wadsworth House is a poor excuse for men to neglect an invitation which should command a whole-hearted response. It is our hope that all students will embrace this opportunity to meet versatile and interesting men.