REPORT ON SOCIAL SERVICE

WORK COMPARES WELL WITH LAST YEAR MORE MEN NEEDED AT ONCE.

About 240 men are now engaged in some of social service work according to the fall report of the social service secretary. One half of these men are teaching at the Cambridge Prospect. Union, Social Union, and the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. These men have classes in English for foreigners, classes in civics, in arithmetic, in spelling, in composition, and debating. The remaining men are divided about equally in boys' club work of various kinds, such as dramatic and athletic clubs and boy scout troupes. About 12 men are also occupied in juvenile court work. This number compares very favorably with that for the same period last year, though no exact comparison can be made because last year's report was made at a different time.

More Men Wanted for Boys' Clubs.

About 50 men are still wanted for boys' club work, particularly as basketball, debating, and dramatic coaches. Lack of previous experience should not keep a man from undertaking some such work, as many of these positions now open are suitable for beginners. The majority of the clubs are in Boston and meet only once a week, although the athletic teams usually demand more time. Opportunities for men who cannot give as much regular time as the boys' clubs demand are available in connection with the work of the Associated Charities.

Men are wanted for all these positions immediately and should see the Social Service Secretary at his desk in Brooks House any day between 8.30 and 11 o'clock.