THE SEASON REVIEWED

Outlook for Championship Eleven Appeared Bright in Early Games.--Team Played Well Together All Year.

The preliminary games of one of the most difficult schedules ever played by a University team hardly served to bring out decisively the possibilities of the available material. But the first four games did demonstrate to a satisfactory degree, however, which members of the squad would be the most likely candidates for the doubtful positions. Brickley, Bradlee, and Hardwick, the starbacks of the 1915 team, proved themselves well up to the University standard, and the position of quarterback, doubtful up to the Amherst game, was ably filled by H. B. Gardner '13. Coolidge, Weatherhead, and O'Brien all did good work at end, while Pennock and Trumbull filled other vacancies in the line.

With the advent of the Brown game the annual misgivings arose, only to be immediately dispelled by the power with which the University met the test. The irresistible backfield had little difficulty in ripping through the opposing defence, and the University line, still in the stages of development, gave promise of great playing to come. For the first time the team played together, with the precision of a machine.

There was, therefore, considerable confidence in the Harvard ranks when the team met Princeton the following week. This was well justified by the 16 to 6 victory scored to its credit. Gardner proved a heady general, Brickley's drop-kicking seemed almost infallible, and Felton's punting was as usual first class. Above all, the line showed great speed and aggressiveness.

In the Vanderbilt game, the substitutes did well to relieve the team of a strain. The two weeks rest thus gained sent them into the Dartmouth game in fine form, only to demonstrate again what endurance and aggressiveness in the line can do against superior weight. The hardest game of the season was won by splendid team work.

The Yale game proved beyond all doubt that this was a championship team. Every man played his position for the team, outplaying Yale in kicking, following up, line-rushing, and every other department of the game, and bringing a remarkable season to a glorious culmination by a 20 to 0 victory.