GENERAL WOOD IN UNION

ARMY OFFICER WILL DISCUSS "THE MILITARY POLICY OF THE UNITED STATES."

Major-General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84, LL.D. '99, chief-of-staff of the United States Army will speak on "The Military Policy of the United States" in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8.15 o'clock. Major-General Wood is the advocate "not of militarism but of common-sense preparedness" and has lately been busy with a plan for an army reserve.

Has Had Long Experience.

Considering his long experience in the service, Major-General Wood should be the highest authority upon his subject. Starting as assistant surgeon from Massachusetts in 1886, he has rapidly risen. Brilliant services as commanding colonel of "Rough Riders" at Las Guasimas and San Juan brought him the appointment of brigadier-general in 1898. In the same year he was awarded a Congressional Medal of Honor "for distinguished conduct in a campaign against Apache Indians while serving as medical and line officer of Captain Lawton's expedition in 1886." Since then he has been appointed major-general U. S. A. (1903), commander of the Department of the East (1908); and chief-of staff U. S. A. (1909).

Besides his army service Major-General Wood has had experience in the insular service as military governor of Cuba until the transfer of that government to the Cuban Republic in 1892, as governor of the Moro Province, and as commander of the Philippine division.

As usual, the address will be open to members of the Union only.