THE VANDERBILT GAME.

The game today witnesses the inauguration of a new policy in regard to the choice of opponents in football. Vanderbilt, as the undisputed champion of the South, comes to the Stadium this year for the first time to try her skill against Harvard. When Harvard and Yale went to England for a field meet with Oxford and Cambridge, nothing but praise was heard for the scheme. Yet within our own country there has come about a certain localization of athletic competition, due in large part to the great distances separating the different sections. As a matter of convenience and economical management, most of our games must needs be with colleges of New England. Yet it is a subject for congratulation that in a few instances we are able to extend relations and measure our strength with those from other parts of the country. This inter-sectional rivalry cannot but result, in some degree, at least, in an increase of friendship and understanding. So we extend our heartiest welcome to the Vanderbilt team and its supporters, who come as representatives of a distant section of the country, and hope that this new athletic relationship will long be a source of congratulation to both universities.