GRADUATES' MAGAZINE

Reviewer Finds Current Issue Essentially a Building Number.

By W. F. Harris .

The Graduates' Magazine for December is essentially a Building Number. President Lowell leads off with an introduction to the Freshman Dormitories, Mr. Yeomans tells how the Dean's office looks at the new problems, and Mr. C. P. Curtis, Jr., how an intelligent undergraduate regards them. A description and drawing of Standish Hall, the first of the new buildings, are given, showing that the simple lines of the older dormitories are to be followed, save in the elaborate portal. It is to be hoped that the result will be so fine that a new couplet will not be added to the ancient ditty:

"Matthews, Weld, Grays, and Thayer! Fire! That's the burden of my prayer."

There are articles on the new library, the Stadium bridge, the Harvard Clubhouse in Boston, and the Corlis P. Huntington Hospital. With all this activity in building going on, one may suggest as a subject for debate before the Forum, "Shall not all new Harvard structures be built on pure Colonial lines?" The question might well be added to the ballot on Commencement Day by way of referendum. Unfortunately buildings are not subject to the recall.

Mr. Owen Wister contributes a truly admirable article on Dr. Furness, marred only for a moment by a trace of that pompous omniscience which has prompted him in recent years to pose as both Nestor and Mentor to learning. Jeremiah Smith '56 contributes an article on his class-mate Major Herrod, and Professor Wendell a sympathetic notice on E. M. Wheelwright. The editor conclusively proves that distinction and longevity are reserved for Phi Beta Kappa men, and the Man Behind The Graduate's Window makes a witty plea that the College muckraker should understand before he fires.

An article of very great interest is the second half of the oration of the French Ambassador delivered before Phi Beta Kappa last June on Rochambeau in America. The address not only shows how much America was indebted to France for the final victory in the Revolution, but draws a vivid picture of the fighters of those days as living men and not heroic statues on the village green.