FAST HOCKEY PRACTICE

UNIVERSITY SQUAD PLAYED WELL IN ARENA YESTERDAY.--TEAM WORK LACKING.

A snappy hockey practice was held at the Arena yesterday, the entire squad reporting. Teams A and B held a short scrimmage, being succeeded by teams C and D. The men at the bottom of the string were kept on the ice the longest, and given a thorough work-out.

A great deal more life than usual was in evidence, and the practice was correspondingly faster. The forward lines of the first two teams are rounding into form, the men getting started more quickly, and showing more speed in covering ground. The most noticeable defect is still the lack of head-work in team-play, and the failure to keep places in line. The puck is worked toward the opponents' goal by individual bursts of speed rather than by concerted action. The defence of both teams, though not phenomenal, is strong enough to ward off an attack no more powerful than the present one. Carnochan and Washburn are both doing good work at goal, few points being scored on either except from scrimmage.