OUTLINE OF SOCCER SEASON

MEETING OF CANDIDATES FOR TEAM WILL BE HELD FRIDAY. THE SCHEDULE.

An important meeting for candidates and all those interested in University and Freshman association football will be held in Hemebway Gymnasium this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock. This will be the first meeting of the year and it is necessary that all candidates for the teams to be present.

For the first time in the history of the sport at Harvard the services of a professional-coach have been secured. Mr. Charles Burgess, instructor at the Woodland Golf Club, will act in this capacity. Mr. Burgess has played the game fifteen years as a member of the Dundee and the Newcastle Independents, the latter having a consistently good record in the Final Cup Series, which attract in England as much interest as the professional baseball leagues in America. W. S. Seamans, Jr., '11, captain of the University team, P. Withington '09, assistant graduate treasurer of athletics, and Coach Burgess will address the meeting and outline the plans for the approaching season.

Review of Practice Season

At first glance it would appear that the University association football team had a very poor practice season last fall, winning but one of six games played. On the contrary, the season was most successful. In contrast to the usual twenty candidates of former seasons, seventy men reported during the six weeks practice, and more sustained interest was shown in learning the game than ever before. Contests with teams of experienced men enabled the players to learn the true character of the game. The defeats, it should be remembered, were inflicted by such strong teams as the Fall Rivers, the Corinthians of Thornton, Rhode Island, and the Pilgrims, a representative team from England.

Profiting by the Fall work, the prospects of the team in the intercollegiate series in March and April are more promising than those of last year, when, without the aid of a coach the team finished second.