YALE FRESHMEN WON HOCKEY

POOR TEAM-PLAY BY 1915 DEFENCE RESPONSIBLE FOR DEFEAT. SCORE 6 TO 1.

Playing on a rink the surface of which was covered with slush and water, the Freshman hockey team lost the final game of its season to the Yale freshmen in New Haven Saturday afternoon by a score of 6 to 1. The game was much faster in the second half than in the first due to a number of changes in the Freshman line-up.

During the first period the 1915 forwards were sadly lacking in aggreesiveness and speed, and the defence men even with the forwards hanging back to help them, were unable to stop the attack of the Yale freshmen, featured by the individual work of Ordway. Although Phillips scored the Freshmen's goal in this half after three forwards had aided in carrying the puck down the rink, it resulted from almost the only sign of team-play by either offence or defence in the half. Yale kept the puck about the Freshman goal practically all the time and made five scores. Their shooting was particularly accurate.

The second period found the teams almost evenly matched, after the substitutions of Washburn and Claflin for Wigglesworth and Handy in the Freshman defence and of Trainer for Claflin in the forward line. Play see-sawed back and forth between one end of the rink and the other, and although the attack of both forward lines became much faster, both defences proved equal to stopping them. Toward the end of the half Yale scored again on a lucky shot past Washburn, thus making the final score 6 to 1.

Captain Phillips played, both offensively and defensively, the best game for the Freshmen. Claflin during the second half also did well at point, and Washburn proved strong in the goal. Ordway whose skating and shooting were excellent, and Heron who in addition to his defensive work carried the puck well starred for Yale.

The summary: HARVARD 1915.  YALE 1915. Winsor, l.e.  r.e., Macdonald, Ballinger Phillips, l.c.  r.c., Heron Claflin, Trainer, r.c.  l.c., Ordway Taylor, Tapping, Greeley, r.e.  l.e., Bangs, Coates Williams, Burns, c.p.  c.p., Herron Handy, Claflin, p.  p., Swift, Gano Wigglesworth, Washburn, g.  g., Jenkinson

Score--Yale 1915, 6; Harvard 1915, 1. Goals--Phillips, Ordway 4, Macdonald, Bangs. Referee--Merritt, Yale. Assistant referee--R. A. Whidden '12. Time--Two 20-minute halves.