A GUIDE TO SECOND HALF-YEAR COURSES

During the past few days we have heard one question above all others: "Do you know a good half-year course for the second half-year?" Various replies have been given, ranging alphabetically all the way from Anthropology 4 to Zoology 70. Almost equally various are the reasons why some particular course eclipses all others. The hour may be unusually conducive to mental concentration; Mr. So-and-So, the young assistant, may have a reputation seldom equalled, for sympathetic marking; the subject, although, at first blush unfamiliar, and geographically remote, may promise much in regions unexplored. Such arguments seem to confine themselves chiefly to underclassmen.

To Seniors and men who will leave College in June, there is a growing tendency to choose courses in the last half-year primarily in order to come in contact with the men who deliver the lectures. How many of us, particularly those who specialize, arrive at the last mid-year milestone with a personal acquaintance with professors in our own particular department, and yet have never heard a lecture by some of the men most truly representative of the best in Harvard's Faculty! To go through Harvard without having sat beneath at least three or four of her greatest masters, is to let slip an opportunity, for which practically every one of us chose Harvard in preference to any other American college.