AN ATTEMPT TO STIMULATE DEBATING.

In an attempt to stimulate more active interest in undergraduate debating the University Advisory Committee of Debating has adopted a plan of interclass competition that will be discussed in an open meeting in the Union this evening. Since the Freshmen already have class debating, the suggested plan will apply to the three upper classes. To the members of the winning team the Committee has decided to present cups as a mark of their success.

Interclass debating is a form of intellectual contest that existed some years ago, but which has now entirely disappeared. The plan of the Advisory Committee is broadly to arouse undergraduate enthusiasm for debating and to render it of more vital interest to a larger number of students than have hitherto participated in any form of argumentation. This scheme of interclass debates, with cups for the members of the winning teams, deserves the heartiest support of all those who believe that debating should maintain a time-honored place among our beneficial "outside interests and activities."