HARVARD AND BOSTON OPERA

Two Gifts Announced for Purpose of Bringing Closer Relations.--Successful Opera Dinner.

As a result of the opera dinner last night, two gifts, one of $500 and one of four orchestra seats on Wednesday nights, have been put at the disposal of Harvard students, provided a responsible opera association is formed. The organization will be open to all members of the University, undergraduates, graduates, and Faculty, upon payment of fifty cents annually. Men wishing to join this association for next year may do so by paying this amount and signing blue-books at the Union or Leavitt & Peirce's. It is essential that this be done immediately, since the gifts are conditional upon a sufficient number of members being enrolled before the spring recess.

Successful Opera Dinner.

The dinner for the purpose of bringing the Boston Opera into closer relationship with Harvard men was held in the Union last night. F. S. Converse '93, a member of the Boston Opera Company, acted as toastmaster. He spoke briefly of the purpose of the dinner and the place which the opera should hold in college life. He then introduced Dean Hurlbut whose speech dealt especially with the great educational advantages which Harvard has close at hand. In this lies the difference between the small and large college. Harvard has always taken part in the advancement of music and has fostered such institutions as the Pierian Sodality and the Musical Clubs. He concluded by saying that Harvard men were ready to give the opera their cordial and hearty support.

Henry Russell, managing director of the Boston Opera House, then described the things which make an opera season successful. The principal requirement is a strong subscription list since that relieves the management of commercial motives. If enough money is subscribed, the manager can stage much better productions.

Professor W. R. Spalding '87 of the department of Music, told of the success of the Historic Operatic Concerts and the support which they have received from graduates of the University. The opera is not a light amusement but an educational force; it is a composite art and appeals to the higher qualities of the listener. In spite of the commercial spirit of this age, the opera will have a vital growth in the future, and it is only commercial power which can provide operatic productions.

H. B. H. Ripley '12 then outlined the plans for bringing about closer relations with the opera. He arranged two committees to which the work should be entrusted. The graduate committee is composed of H. Blanchard '98, G. R. Fearing, Jr., '93, H. S. Thompson '99. The following compose the undergraduate committee: M. Fremont-Smith '13, K. Hadden '14, N. Roosevelt '14, H. B. H. Ripley '12 and C. H. Hoskins '13.

The University association football team will meet Cornell in the second intercollegiate league game on Soldiers Field tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock.