FIRST HOME GAME TODAY AT 4

UNIVERSITY BASEBALL NINE WILL MEET BATES.--CHANGES IN LINE-UP.

The first home game of the season for the University baseball team will be played on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Bates College being the opponent.

Last year the University team defeated Bates 12 to 1, but it is doubtful if as large a score is rolled up today, since the game came later in the season a year ago, and Harvard had had more chance to develop.

Several changes have been made in the University team's lineup since the Southern trip. Captain Potter has gone to shortstop, Gibson taking his place at second base. In the outfield Coon will play in place of Wigglesworth at centre field. Felton will probably start the game in the box, with Reeves on the receiving end.

The University team has not progressed as fast in its playing as at this time last year. The men have not been playing well together and the base running has been poor. Felton, whom it was thought would be the mainstay in the box, has been very wild, and in the three games in which he has pitched has given a total of 26 bases on balls.

The batting orders follow: Wingate, 3b.  2b., Ridlon Gibson, 2b.  1b., Regan Babson, l.f.  c.f., Talbot Potter, s.s.  c., Griffin Clark, 1b.  l.f., Bassett Reynolds, r.f.  3b., Coady Coon, c.f.  r.f., Bates or Danahy Reeves or Young, c.  s.s., Keaney Felton or Tomes, p.  p., Stinson or Anderson

Where to Get Season Tickets.

Baseball season tickets, giving admission to all home games played by the University team, except that with Yale, may be secured for $3 each at the Co-operative Branch, Amee's Bookstore, Leavitt & Peirce's, and Wright & Ditson's. They may also be obtained at the box office on the afternoon of any game. In Boston they will be sold at Wright & Ditson's, 344 Washington street.

Practice Game Yesterday.

The University baseball team defeated the Freshmen in a practice game of five innings yesterday afternoon by the score of 2 to 1. Coach Sexton pitched on the University team for the first three innings, when he was relieved by Waterman. Wigglesworth and Babson played with the Freshmen. Potter and Clark played well on the University team, the former getting two hits. Frye pitched a steady game for the Freshmen, but Watson, who succeeded him, was rather wild, giving four bases on balls.

The teams lined up as follows:

University.--3b., Wingate; 2b., Gibson; 1b., S. P. Clark; s.s., Potter; c.f., Reynolds; l.f., F. H. Clark; r.f., Coon; c., Young; p., Sexton, Waterman.

Freshmen.--l.f., Babson; 2b., Winsor, Winlock; r.f., Wigglesworth; c.f., Brickley, deWindt; s.s., Hardwick; 1b., Packard; 3b., Phillips; c., Wharton, Choate; p., Frye, Watson. Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  R.  H.  E. University,  1  0  1  0  0  2  3  1 Freshmen.  0  0  1  0  0  1  4  2

Where to Get Season Tickets.

Practice Game Yesterday.

The teams lined up as follows: