PRINCETON LOST AT TENNIS

University Won Five of Nine Matches Played at Longwood on Saturday.

In the second match of its schedule the University tennis team defeated Princeton at Longwood on Saturday by the close score of 5 to 4. The singles were divided equally, each team taking three matches, and the University team gained the final victory by winning two of the three closely contested matches in doubles. The match between Mathey, of Princeton, and E. H. Whitney '14, was considered the most important of the singles. Mathey won this match, 7-5, 7-5, showing excellent from and an especially strong forehand, while Whitney's game was unsteady and lacked snap and precision when points were most needed. Whitney sprung a surprise, however, by turning the tables in his deuce with C. S. Cutting '12 against Mathey and Butler, the Harvard men defeating last fall's intercollegiate champions in doubles by the score, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4.

The summary: Mathey defeated E. H. Whitney '14, 7-5, 7-5; A. J. Lowrey '13 defeated Tobey, 6-1, 6-8, 6-2; A. M. Hyde '12 defeated Tifft, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2; Kuhn defeated L. I. Grinnell '12, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4; C. S. Cutting '12 defeated Butler, 6-3, 6-1; McGowan defeated J. R. Pratt '12, 6-3, 8-6.

Doubles: C. S. Cutting '12 and E. H. Whitney '14 defeated Mathey and Butler, 7-5, 2-6, 7-5; A. J. Lowrey '13 and E. H. Woods '14 defeated Kuhn and Tifft, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4; McGowan and Tobey defeated A. M. Hyde '12 and L. I. Grinnell '12, 7-5, 3-6, 8-6.