HOLY CROSS TEAM DEFEATED

VISITORS LOSE BY POOR FIELDING TO HEAVY HITTING UNIVERSITY TEAM.

The University team defeated Holy Cross in a slow game by the score of 7 to 3 yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field. The contest was marked by heavy hitting on the part of both teams and poor fielding by the visitors. Hardy started the game in the box for Harvard and held Holy Cross to a hit an inning until the sixth when he weakened and allowed three runs.

Holy Cross Scored in Sixth Inning.

Volk singled and went to second as Twomey was walked; Kennedy forced Volk at third and O'Brien scored Twomey with a single. Gans struck out but Weeks singled scoring Kennedy and O'Brien. Bartholf pitched the last three innings for Harvard and held the visitors to two hits.

University Team Hit Murray Freely.

The University batsmen had no difficulty in getting to Murray, thereby taking revenge for the game, which they lost at Worcester earlier in the season, with the same pitcher in the box. During the five innings which Murray occupied the mound he was touched up for five hits, one a home run by Captain Potter, which scored Bolton ahead of him, and a triple by Wingate. Murray was also a bit troubled by wildness. Weeks, who relieved him, however, was steadier and allowed but one run during the remainder of the game.

The game was peculiar in that Bolton did most of the scoring, Potter most of the hitting, and Wingate the bulk of the fielding for the University. Bolton tallied four times, being walked three and getting on by a single a fourth time. Potter got three hits out of four times up, and Wingate made seven of the University team's 10 assists.

Ostregren played a fine game for Holy Cross, making a number of hard stops around the initial sack, and connecting safely in three of his five times at bat. The other members of the Holy Cross team seemed to lack snap, and could not hit with men on bases. Gans's throwing arm was a bit weak, and a wild throw by him to second base allowed Wigglesworth to score in the second inning.

The summary: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Wingate, s.s.  4  1  2  2  7  0 Bolton, c.f.  1  4  1  2  0  0 Babson, l.f.  3  0  1  3  0  0 Potter, 2b.  4  1  3  2  1  0 Clark, 1b.  4  0  0  9  0  0 Gibson, 3b.  4  0  1  3  2  1 Wigglesworth, r.f.  3  1  1  0  0  0 Young, c.  3  0  0  5  0  0 Hardy, p.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Bartholf, p.  0  0  0  1  0  0 Totals,  28  7  9  27  10  1 HOLY CROSS.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. J. Murray, s.s.  5  0  0  3  3  0 Cawley, 3b.  5  0  2  1  1  0 Ostregren, 1b.  5  0  3  9  2  0 Volk, 2b.  5  0  2  3  2  0 Twomey, l.f.  2  1  0  2  1  0

Kennedy, r.f.  4  1  1  0  0  0O'Brien, c.f.  4  1  1  0  0  1Gans, c.  2  0  0  5  3  1R. Murray, p.  2  0  0  0  1  1Weeks, p.  2  0  1  1  2  1Totals,  36  3  10  24  15