EXCHANGE PROFESSORS

Prominent Men From Jena and the Sorbonne.--Prof. Palmer Will Go West.

Arrangements have been completed for the exchange of professors with Germany and France as usual this year, and the similar relations which were established with western universities of the United States through the agency of Professor Hart, of the Department of History, last year will also be continued. The exchange of the most eminent men of the leading universities of Germany, France and the United States promises to have an interestingly beneficial effect for the cause of education in all three countries; and it is to be expected that each year, as the students in the universities which engage in the exchange become more familiar with the unusual opportunities which such an arrangement offers them, they will enter into the scheme of it with growing enthusiasm.

Prof. Eucken to Come From Germany.

Professor Rudolph Eucken, of Jena University, is the exchange professor from Germany this year. He is one of the foremost German Philosophers and on his arrival in Cambridge next week he will enter immediately upon his duties, offering three half-courses in the Philosophy Department throughout the first half-year. These will be Philosophy 13, "Leading Ideas of the Present Time"; Philosophy 14, "History of German Philosophy"; and Philosophy 20h, "Seminary in Philosophy of Religion".

Prof. Legouis, of Paris, in English.

Professor Emile Legouis, of the Sorbonne, Paris, will serve as French exchange professor at the University during the first half-year also, lecturing in the English Department. He will conduct one half-course known as English 66 on "Wordsworth and Coleridge." The work in this course will consist chiefly of the writing of essays and reports under the supervision and criticism of the instructor. Professor Legouis will also give English 65, a half-course on "English Non-Dramatic Poetry at the Time of the Renaissance."

Harvard Professors Abroad.

The exchange professors who go from Harvard to France and Germany respectively are Professor G. G. Wilson, Professor of International Law, who will lecture on the subject of which he is master at the University of Paris, and Dr. C. C. Minot, of the Medical School, who will lecture on medical subjects at the University of Jena, Germany.

The Western Exchange.

Professor G. H. Palmer, of the Philosophy Department, will make the tour of the four western colleges with which Harvard has established close relations and will lecture for a few weeks at each. Professor Palmer's devotion to the University and his incalculable services of a life time for its welfare have been experienced by thousands of students. The selection of Professor Palmer as the University's envoy to the West is therefore sufficient indication in itself of the care which the sturdy growth of the new relations is being fostered. In return for the services of Professor Palmer, Knox College, Galesburg, III., sends Professor D. E. Watkins, who will assist in the Public Speaking Department of the University throughout the year; Grinnell College, Iowa, will send Professor P. F. Peck, whose field is American History; Colorado University will send Professor G. H. Albright to assist in the Departments of Mathematics and Astronomy; Beloit College, Wisconsin, which will be the fourth college visited by Professor Palmer, has not yet selected anyone to come to Harvard this year.