SECONDS PUT UP HARD FIGHT

MADE FREQUENT FIRST DOWNS AGAINST 'VARSITY IN 40-MIN. UTE SCRIMMAGE.

Another hard day was spent by the University football squad on Soldiers Field yesterday. The main weakness to ward which the coaches are now directing the greater part of their attention is lack of team-play. There is plenty of individual brilliancy, but the team as a whole is as yet far from being as unified and as mechanically perfect as it should be. They are also endeavoring to build up strong interference, for the brand shown thus far has been far from perfect.

The scrimmage between Team A and the seconds lasted 40 minutes, during which time the University eleven scored four touchdowns. But an examination of how they were made will illustrate wherein the team lacks strength. Logan and Hardwick each broke through on open plays for runs of about 60 yards to the goal, while Milholland and Soucy scored by recovering blocked kicks. Though spectacular, it was all one-man work. When it came to advancing the ball by a series of regular line plays, the team lacked that steady, driving force which played so great a part in the successes of last year.

The seconds, on the other hand, showed less of this weakness, making about six first downs, three of which came in succession. If it were not for the misfortunes experienced in fumbling and the blocking of kicks, the seconds might have scored. Throughout the scrimmage, they gained steadily and consistently through the line.

Pennock and Trumbull were both back in the line-up, the latter giving place to Soucy after a short period. Bradlee was first choice for quarter, after being thoroughly instructed by Coach R. B. Wigglesworth '12. Freedley, who succeeded him, received such a severe blow in the head that he had to be taken to the Stillman Infirmary, where it is feared that serious complications may ensue. Logan played out the rest of the scrimmage.

Following this, Team B and the seconds lined up against each other for about half an hour, Team B scoring two touchdowns. The first was made by Rollins on a 40-yard end run. Bradlee playing at halfback for the substitutes as well as at quarter for the University, went over for the second score after a successful series of onslaughts upon the line.

The line-ups: UNIVERSITY.  SECOND TEAM. O'Brien, l.e.  r.e., Adams Storer, l.t.  r.t., Coffin Mills, l.g.  r.g., Straus Trumbull, Soucy, c.  c., Bigelow Pennock, r.g.  l.g., Townsend Hitchcock, r.t.  l.t., Sigourney Coolidge, r.e.  l.e., Felton, Hoyt Bradlee, Freedley, Logan, q.b.  q.b., Swigert Mahan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Temple Hardwick, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Green Brickley, f.b.  f.b., King