YALE ROWING AT LOW EBB

Dissatisfaction With Coaches and System in General Manifested.

No development in the athletic situation at Yale which has occurred in recent months has apparently given so much general satisfaction to graduates of the university who are interested in its rowing future as the editorial published in the Yale News last week calling for the termination of the present coaching regime. The independence and the stubborn backbone which requested the present coach and his assistants to hand in their commissions was the sign which was particularly pleasing to many Yale men. It has seemed to many of the older graduates that the characteristic Yale directness has been lacking at New Haven of late and the blunt stand taken by the student editors is taken as a sign that the old willingness to deal with a situation without gloves when necessary is asserting itself.

When the present English system of rowing was first adopted at Yale, it was felt that the success or failure of the undertaking could not be determined in a year's time, but most of the followers of the scheme had agreed that the race with Princeton on October 25 would go far towards showing whether or not the system warranted a continuation. The Yale crew came across the finish line a length behind Princeton after a two-mile race, which was characterized for Yale as splashing, unfinished and unrhythmical, the eight men being utterly exhausted. This seems to have decided the matter in the eyes of the graduate and undergraduate bodies, the general consensus of opinion being that unless Yale wishes to have her crew suffer continual defeat, a professional coach of the first rank must be obtained and a new system of rowing installed.