MUFF RESULTS IN LONE SCORE

Hardwick Recovers Fumbled Punt and Crosses Line for Only Tally in Hard Scrimmage With Subs.

Practice on Soldiers Field yesterday was unusually long, the emphasis being laid on defensive work. The changes made Tuesday were adhered to, and under the new line-up the regulars were called upon to face the Yale variety of the Minnesota shift as expounded by the seconds. At first, the formations were very puzzling to the men, but later they were able to size up most of them and stop their opponents without gain.

At the close of the afternoon, the University and substitutes faced each other for 20 minutes in a scrimmage much harder than the first. The only score herein came on the first play when Hardwick recovered a fumbled punt on the seconds' 10-yard line and dashed across for a touchdown. The punt was a long one by Mahan, which Freedley muffed badly, Hardwick being the only man near the ball when he recovered it. Thereafter, the contest was largely one of kicking with the ball never long in either eleven's possession. Brickley barely missed two tries at goal, one from placement following a fair catch on the 45-yard line, and the other a drop from the 35-yard line. Team B likewise had two fairly easy chances, both of which also failed by a comfortable margin.

Cowen is now first substitute for a number of positions, and it is not improbable that he will be seen in the regular line-up again before the season closes. If anything happens to either of the guards or tackles, or if any further shifts are made affecting these positions, he will undoubtedly be called upon to fill the vacancy.

The line-up during the scrimmage between the University and the substitutes, in which several of the regulars did not play, was as follows: UNIVERSITY.  SUBSTITUTES. Dana, l.e.  r.e., Felton Storer, l.t.  r.t., Withington Weston, l.g.  r.g., Mills Soucy, c.  c., Bigelow Pennock, r.g.  l.g., Underwood Hitchcock, r.t.  l.t., R. Curtis Hardwick, Coolidge, r.e.  l.e., L. Curtis Logan, q.b.  q.b., Freedley Bradlee, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Willetts Mahan, r.h.b.  l.h.b., McKinlock Brickley, f.b.  f.b., Bettle