SOPHOMORES LEAD TO DATE

ACTIVE CAMPAIGN FOR NEW GYMNASIUM FUND IN PROGRESS.

As a result of the first two days' work of canvassing the class of 1917 to secure pledges for the new gymnasium a little over $1200 has been collected. The canvassing will continue until next Thursday and every member of the class will be visited individually.

1916 Largest Contributor.

The class of 1916 has to the date contributed the largest amount, $3241, The Freshmen have already raised nearly one-half of this amount and hope to establish a new record. The records of the five highest collectors are as follows: 1, S. J. Y. Mann '17, $210; 2, D. Campbell '17, $115; 3, J. Hubbell '17, $111; 4, T. F. Coxe '17, $110; 5, J. Gazzam '17, $90.

In response to pledge slips recently placed in Leavitt & Peirce's, voluntary contributions amounting to over $500 have already been received by the committee. All checks should be made payable to the Harvard Gymnasium Committee, care Lee Higginson Co., Boston.

The figures complied last May show the following contributions by classes: 1913, $2046; 1914, $2395; 1915, $2388; 1916, $3241; total, $10,070. The total amount has since been increased to about $12,200. About 1500 men have made contributions, these showing an average of less than $10 per man. This is rather small when compared with Dartmouth's average subscription of $25 per man for their new gymnasium. Moreover, of the five classes canvassed, 1913, 1914,1915,1916, and 1917, only about one-half of the members have contributed anything at all. The canvassing of 1917 has not been finished and allowance for this should be made. The committee believes that this lack of contributions has been due to negligence and ignorance of the importance of the project and consequently will make further efforts to reach members of the upper classes in the spring.

New Building Assured.

The new gymnasium is practically assured. As soon as the undergraduates have shown that they are earnestly in favor of the project a committee will be appointed to carry on the campaign among the graduates. That substantial contributions can be expected from them is shown by the fact that H. Fish, Jr., '10 has already made a voluntary pledge of $5000.