REMODELLING OF FOGG MUSEUM

Additional Space With More Light Has Been Made for Exhibits.

It is expected that the alterations on the Fogg Art Museum will be completed in time to bring the exhibits back shortly after Christmas. The pictures are now on exhibition at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and the prints are stored there. At present the administrative force and the photographs are on the first floor, which was altered last year and is not affected by the work now going on.

Details of Remodelling.

The reason for remodelling the second floor is the fact that air and light were sorely needed, the atmosphere under the low roof being particularly close in summer. Adequate light for the paintings was also lacking and in addition to these needs, the walls leaked. To remedy the evils, the roof has been raised a considerable distance, increasing the exhibition space, and greatly improving the ventilation of the second floor. The capacity of the photograph room has been enlarged and new cases with a more economical arrangement have been installed. Space which hitherto has gone to waste will be utilized as workrooms, store-rooms and quarters for the staff in consequence of the enlargement, greatly increasing the efficiency of administration.

The second floor consists of three divisions, the print room, the photograph room, and the gallery of paintings. The raising of the roof will greatly enhance the facility of carrying on all departments, but the greatest gain is that of light for the main gallery and the stair corridor. A new sloping, slate roof has been built over the north exhibition room and the sky-lights have been considerably raised. The photograph rooms will have the advantage of added space on the side wings, and exhibition cases will be installed in the new quarters as soon as possible.