ORATOR AND POET APPOINTED

Men Chosen to Speak at Phi Beta Kappa Commencement Meeting.

The Phi Beta Kappa Society will hold its annual Commencement meeting on Monday, June 16. The orator of the occasion will be Rev. Samuel McChord Crothers, S.T.D., '99, of Cambridge; Mr. George Edward Woodberry '77, of Beverly has been chosen poet.

After receiving his A.B. from Princeton in 1874, Rev. Crothers entered the Union Theological Seminary, where he studied until 1877. During the succeeding seventeen years he occupied positions in several states, and in 1894 became pastor of the First Church, Cambridge.

Dr. Crothers is the author of several books, among which are: "The Gentle Reader," and "The Endless Life." He received the degree of D.D. from the Divinity School in 1899, Litt.D. from St. Lawrence in 1904, and from Princeton in 1909.

Mr. Woodberry was Professor of English at Nebraska University for several years after his graduation from Harvard in 1877. From 1891-1904 he occupied a chair of Comparative Literature at Columbia. He received the degree of Litt.D. from Amherst in 1905, LL.D. from Western Reserve in 1907, and has been made a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Mr. Woodberry has edited many poems and prose writings, and has written biographies and essays on literary subjects.