YALE EARNED TRACK VICTORY

DUAL RECORDS BROKEN IN THE HALF-MILE, MILE, AND HAMMER-THROW.

Yale earned a clean-cut, and well-deserved victory in the twenty-second annual dual track meet with Harvard, held on Yale Field, Saturday afternoon. This victory is the eleventh for Yale out of the twenty-two contests which have been held since 1891 and gives Yale three legs to Harvard's two on the present nine-year cup offered by graduates of the two universities,

Meet Was Unusually interesting.

From the point of view of the spectator, it is hard to recall a meet more intensely interesting. The weather was cool and threatening, but there was scarcely a breath of wind to interfere with the runners. The Yale track has recently been recoated with cinders and has been otherwise improved, and although not yet firm enough, is much better than in former years. As a result the performances were excellent. The dual records in the half-mile and mile runs and in the hammer-throw were broken, and in the quarter mile and high hurdles the old marks were equalled. The meet was most remarkable, however, in that every event furnished a genuine contest in which each man entered brought to bear his last bit of strength and will-power. It was nip and tuck all the way with now Yale, now Harvard leading in the total of points scored. A Yale victory was not assured until Cornell broke the tape in the final heat of the 220-yard dash which was the last event of the day.

Yale Superior Throughout.

Yale won through sheer superiority in nearly every event of the meet, and it was Yale that furnished all the surprises. Especially in the one-mile run Yale's strength was totally unexpected, and in the broad jump and low hurdles the Harvard men did not come up to form. The improvement in all the Yale distance runners since the advent of Queal as coach for those events is remarkable, and makes it appear that next year will see Yale a real contender in cross-crountry.

Cornell Secures Two Firats.

T. H. Cornell of Yale proved the most successful point-getter by winning both the 100 and 220-yard dashes. In the first race he was followed by his team-mate Rudell with W.B. Adams '13 third. The furlong race was more fiercely contested. It was the last race of the day, and by securing first and second Harvard might have tied the score, or, by winning all three places might have won. Tied for second place, W. B. Adams '13 and R. Tower '15, hurled themselves headlong toward the tape after Cornell, Adams going head over heels and almost into the board fence.

Barron Runs Great Quarter.

W. A. Barron, Jr., '14,, led from the start in the quarter-mile and after a gruelling sprint down the long straight-away, burst the tape three yards ahead of Wilkie, the Yale favorite, on whose heels came J. C. Rock '15. The time 49s., equals the record made by J. F. Haigh of Harvard in 1903.

Brown Smashes Record.

G. E. Brown of Yale exceeded his reputation by winning the half-mile run in 1m., 54 3-5s., which clips 3 1-5 seconds from the record made by J. P. Adams of Yale in 1899. F. W. Capper '15 set a terrific pace in this race, going the first quarter in 54 2-5 seconds. T. W. Koch '14 went into the lead in the back stretch, but tired and was passed on the turn by Brown. In the home stretch Poucher's sprint took second place from Cappen who had worked forward again after having fallen behind.

Yale Man a Surprise in the Mile.

The mile-run in which H. J. Norris of Yale lowered the record made by D. Grant of Harvard in 1898 by 1-5 of a second was the surprise of the day. Until the back stretch of the last lap, A. C. Hawkes '14, H. P. Lawless '13, and H. M. Warren '13 by turns led the way. Then the Harvard men tired and Norris sprinted to the tape followed by H. G. MacLure '15 who had run well back the whole way and was hard pressed at the finish by H. W. Smith. Only in the two mile run which R. St.B. Boyd '14 won in 9m., 45 4-5s., did the Harvard distance men justify their reputation. F. W. Copeland '13 and B. S. Carter '15 followed Boyd with Lyman of Yale not far behind.

Jackson Equals Record.

In the high hurdles A. L. Jackson '14 and J. B. Cummings '13 shut out Potter, Yale's best hurdler, in the first heat. T. O. Freeman '14 and E. F. Smith of Yale were the qualifying men in the other trial heat. It the final heat Jackson equaled the dual record; Captain Cummings took second place, while the Yale man won the remaining point. The furlong race over the timbers was one of the Harvard disappointments for in this race, Captain Cummings was the only man to place and took third.

New Record in Hammer-Throw.

T. Cable '13 threw the 16-pound hammer farther than it has over before been thrown in a dual meet hurling it 3 ft., and 5 1-2 in., farther than C. T. Cooney of Yale threw it in 1909. The shot-put was the most interesting of the field events. C. E. Brickley '15 was in first place when W. F. Ross of Yale came to make the last put of the event. With