UNIVERSITY LOST TO CORNELL

CREW EASILY DEFEATED BY SUPERIOR WORK.-FRESHMEN VICTORIOUS.

The University crew was defeated by Cornell in the two-mile race of Lake Cayuga on Saturday afternoon, by the distance of about six lengths. Severe as the defeat was, it was due not to poor rowing on the part of the University eight, but rather to the remarkable form and power displayed by the Cornell crew.

In the Freshman race, the situation was just the reverse, the Harvard crew displaying their superiority at every point, winning by about a length and a half.

Cornell Showed Excellent Form.

After a day in which the weather conditions had been very threatening, causing the postponement of the race for over an hour, the wind died down and permitted the crews to line up for the start in fairly smooth water. Harvard had a bit the best of the starting, jumping slightly into the lead, both crews rowing a little over 40 strokes to the minute. It was not long, however, before Cornell came up, and going into the lead, was never headed. At the hlf-mile flag, Cornell lead by a length, and at the mile by two lengths, rowing fairly easily. It was in the last mile that the victors gave an example of smoothness and power that has probably seldom been equalled. The stroke was put up to 42 as compared with Harvard's 38, and the lead was opened out until Cornell crossed the line in 10 minutes and 29 seconds, 22 seconds ahead of Harvard.

Freshmen Make Fast Time.

The race between the freshman crews provided a better and more exciting