SUPPORT THE BASEBALL TEAM.

With the game with Amherst this afternoon the University baseball team begins a month of mid-season games looking to the strenuous June series. There are no colleges ahead now which can not be expected to give the team a hard tussle for a victory and on the showing made in the next games with Amherst, Lafayette, Syracuse, and Holy Cross hangs the surety of a successful campaign against Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale which his perhaps the strongest team of the season, at the end of the year.

On the whole the team is well fitted to enter upon this series. The showing made on the Southern trip has been more than maintained, and the evident need for better fielding has been in a large measure remedied, while tile good stick work has been improved, if anything, by an ability to place the hits where they would do the most good. The defeat at the hands of Colby came on the only day when there was a slump in both the fielding and batting departments. Up to that time when the fielding was poor the work at bat more than made up for it -- as in the Maine game -- or the other way about.

Individually, the men are in promising condition. Felton, while he has not as yet perfected his control, seems in a fair way to get in shape for the big games, Hitchcock has shown a remarkable development and may be expected to do good work on the mound. The rapid development shown by the less experienced men--Ayres, Tomes, and Gannet,--is decidedly encouraging. If the same calibre of batting is displayed as in the game with Bates, and if the kind of team-work is manifested as was shown in the uphill pull against West Point, then the clean cut success over Vermont, with Malcolm, one of the best intercollegiate twirlers in the East, in the box, ought to be repeated several times in the coming month.

It is needles to say that the team needs the hearty support of the whole undergraduate body. There is no less need for a cheering section at the baseball games than at the football games, and in the important mid-season games that are coming on it is especially desirable that the stands be well filled. To wait until the "big games" is to admit that the only reason for going is to see the game and that the support of the team is negligible.