NEW DRAMATIC PRODUCTION

"The Child," by Elizabeth McFadden, Author of "The Product of the Mill" to be Staged Wednesday.

A new drama, "The Child," by Elizabeth McFadden, author of the second Craig prize play, "The Product of the Mill," will be staged for the first time in Boston, when the play opens at the Plymouth Theatre, Wednesday evening.

The drama is in three acts and is described as a play of contemporaneous life in the Middle West. The story is about a baby adopted by a childless couple who come upon it during a flood. The two have sunk low in degeneracy and hope to obtain an inheritance by pretending the child to be their own. Through the rest of the plot, the influence of the child causes a gradual regeneration. The scenes are laid in Cincinnati during a time of flood, and in an Ohio farmhouse.

Miss McFadden, by placing her story in her native heath, has presented characters that are familiar to her. It is said she has not undertaken to present in "The Child" a sociological problem as she did in her earlier play, but has endeavored to set forth human emotions in a dramatic and convincing style.

The play will be produced by Harrison Grey Fiske. He has engaged a company headed by Miss Emily Stevens, who won great favor in Boston recently through her appearance with Robert Lorraine. She is a cousin of Mrs. Fiske and one of the most gifted of the younger actresses. Among the other members of the company are George Probert, Frank Currier, Henry Hull, Maud Durand, and Paula Montey.