GAME LOST BY LOOSE PLAYING

THROUGH 5 HITS, HOLY CROSS EASILY SCORED A TOTAL OF 7 RUNS.

Holy Cross defeated the University baseball team for the second time this season on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon by the score of 7 to 2. The defeat was due mainly to errors by the University infield, and to the inability to hit at opportune times. Harvard out-hit the visitors almost three to one, but was unable to score more than twice because of the brilliant playing of the Holy Cross infield.

Frye started in the box for the University team and pitched until the seventh inning, when he was relieved by Felton. The former did creditable work, aside from being a trifle wild, but was given wretched support. Only two of the visitors' runs were earned, the remainder coming from errors by Harvard. Aside from the actual blunders, the University team fielded slowly and seemed to lack the snap which has characterized the work of the last two weeks. Felton pitched good ball until the last inning when, with two out, a single, a three-bagger, and a wild pitch, gave Holy Cross two more runs.

Opposing Pitcher Well Supported.

R. Murray, who pitched for Holy Cross, was hit freely and owes the victory to the support given him by his team-mates. Cawley, at third base, played a particularly brilliant game, accepting eight hard chances without a slip. His stop of Ayres's drive in the second inning was especially commendable. Murphy was by far the best catcher who has been on Soldiers Field this year. He allowed only one stolen base, although many attempts were made.

Gannett was the heavy hitter of the day. He had four safe drives out of as many times at bat, one of which went for three bases. Unfortunately, two of his hits were made with the bases clear, so that they were unable to help in the scoring.

How Holy Cross Scored.

Holy Cross scored one in the first inning. Cawley drew a base on balls, and went to second when Frye threw wild on J. Murray's attempted sacrifice. He reached third on Ostergren's sacrifice, scoring on O'Dwyer's out, Clark to Ayres. Saunders then flied to Wingate, retiring the side.

The second run came in the third. R. Murray drew a base on balls, and was sacrificed to second by Cawley. J. Murray drew a base on balls. R. Murray went to third when J. Murray was retired at second, Wingate to Clark. Ostergren stole second, and when Frye threw to Clark to catch him napping, R. Murray scored. Two more were added in the next session. With two out, Dolan was hit by a pitched ball and went to third when Clark muffed Murphy's fly. Both scored on R. Murray's single.

In the fifth, J. Murray singled. Ostergren flied to Gannett. O'Dwyer singled, advancing J. Murray to third. The latter scored on Saunders's out, Wingate to Ayres. O'Brien then flied to Gannett. In the ninth, with two out, J. Murray singled, and scored on Ostergren's three- bagger. Ostergren scored on a wild pitch by Felton.

How Harvard Scored.

Harvard scored one in the fifth. With one out, Young singled, but was forced at second when Frye hit to Cawley. Alsop singled, sending Frye to third and the latter scored when Wingate beat out an infield hit. Wingate stole second; Clark drew a pass, but Ayres hit to R. Murray, retiring the side. The other run was made in the sixth. Gannett singled and went to second when Hardwick connected safely. Gannett reached third on Phillips's out, Cawley to Ostergren, and scored on Young's out at first. Frye flied to Saunders, retiring the side.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Alsop, l.f.  4  0  2  0  0  0Wingate, s.s.  5  0  2  1  4  0Clark, 2b.  3  0  2  3  2  3Ayres, 1b.  4  0  0  10  0  0Gannett, r.f.  4  1  4  3  0  0Hardwick, c.f.  4  0  1  0  0  0Tomes, 3b.  0  0  0  0  1  0Phillips, 3b.  4  0  0  0  1  0Young, c.  4  0  1  10  0  0Frye, p.  3  1  1  0  1  1Felton, p.  1  0  0  0  2  2Total,  36  2  13  27  11  6HOLY CROSS.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Cawley, 3b.  3  1  0  0  8  0J. Murray, r.f.  2  2  2  0  0  0Ostergren, 1b.  4  1  1  13  0  0O'Dwyer, 2b.  4  0  1  8  2  0Saunders, s.s.  4  0  0  3  3  0O'Brien, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Dolan, l.f.  3  1  0  0  0  0Murphy, c.  4  1  0  1  3  0R. Murray, p.  2  1  1  0  1  0Total,  30  7  5  27  17