FEW CHANGES IN FOOTBALL RULES

Only Important Revision by Committee Last July Concerns Kicking.

At the meeting held July 30, the intercollegiate football rules committee made but few changes in the regulations governing the game, the majority of alterations being technical with little real effect. The most momentous change is the rule permitting the kicker to stand at any distance from the line of scrimmage when kicking, instead of at least five yards in the rear of the line. Under this regulation, it is expected that quick kicking from directly behind the forwards will be a feature of the coming season.

Walter Camp in outlining the work of the rules committee in connection with the revision the playing code said:

"One alteration was brought about by the fact that the player could not be returned to the game after he had once been taken out except at the beginning of a period. It often happened that an unexpected substitution was necessary to be no reason why an exception should not be in this case; but the rules forbade it, hence they were altered this year to read: "Player may be returned once at the beginning of any period, or at anytime during the fourth or last period.

"A relic of the old time, when the ball was not always snapped back with the hands, has been eliminated. The rule which read, by one quick, continuous motion of the hands or of the foot' has been shortened by cutting out the words 'or the foot'.

"A specific penalty has been placed upon advancing beyond the lines is case of a punt-one penalty now being that the punter's angle be moved five yards away from the nearest goal post along the goal line. If the punter-out makes a deliberate attempt by a feint to draw the opponents off-side, the referee is not to permit hint to kick the ball until the opponents have had time to return behind their restraining line. In the rules regarding the conduct of players after a forward pass or after the pass has been made now makes it clear that players may interfere with one another until the pass is actually made.