DEATH OF PROFESSOR PEIRCE

Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy Died at His Home Yesterday Morning.

By Edwin H. Hall.

A graduate of Harvard in the class of 1876, Professor Peirce studied in Germany for four years, returning then to this country and accepting a position as teacher in the Boston Latin School. In 1881 he undertook his work as teacher in mathematics and physics at the University, becoming in 1888 Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy. His total term of service here has been thirty-two years.

Appreciation by Professor Hall.

Professor Benjamin Osgood Peirce '76 died at his home yesterday morning of angina pectoris. He had a very severe illness while in England last summer, from which he never fully recovered, though he insisted on resuming his regular work at the beginning of the College year and carried it on as usual until the Christmas vacation.

Professor Pierce was one of the most genial men and one of the most conscientious teachers imaginable, and he was a great scholar. He was one of the few men qualified to hold in modern days, as he did hold, a professorship of both mathematics and experimental physics. Professor Byerly, his colleague in the Department of Mathematics, once said of him that he knew more mathematics than any one else in the Department of Mathematics and more physics than any one else in the Department of Physics. And there was no one to gainsay this statement or to take offense at it.