Weekly Letter From Yale

The most important matter that has been occupying the minds of the upper-classmen during the preceeding week has been the preparation for the Junior Promenade. It has been decided definitely to combine the Senior dance and Junior German.

The progress on the new skating rink has been rapid and the first practice was held on Sunday, January 20. During the week the basketball team was defeated by Wesleyan 31 to 19 in a fast and hard game, but won from Pennsylvania 26 to 23. On Friday evening the University swimming team defeated the City College of New York in a swimming meet held in the Carnegie pool by a score of 46 to 7. After the meet the C. C. N. Y. water polo team was defeated by Yale, 50 to 8. On Wednesday a general call was issued to football candidates for light winter practice held in the cage.

E. A. Burtt, 1915, won the Ten Eyck prize for public speaking, and P. O. Badger was awarded second place. Yale aeronautics received a boom in the formation of a company at New Haven for the commercialization of aeroplanes and hydroplanes.

A new day on the University's calendar will be inaugurated on February 23, 1914, when the first Alumni University Day will be held in New Haven under the auspices of the Associated New England Yale Clubs.

At a meeting of the University musical clubs the following officers were elected; Glee Club--Leader, William H. Jessup, 1915; Recorder, Kenneth D. Hull, 1915. Mandolin and Banjo Clubs--Leader, Richard E. Wheeler, 1915; Recorder, Carroll W. Smith, 1915. Apollo Clubs--Manager, George G. Haven, 1916.