POLITICAL DISCUSSION.

In spite of the long recognized desirability of arousing greater interest throughout the University in contemporary social and political movements the fact remains that the active interest taken by members of the University in the public affairs of the day is far less than ought to be the case. Among undergraduates, for instance, the amount of leisure time consumed in the mere discussion of political affairs is much less than is the case, for example, with the students of an English university. The causes for this condition are perhaps due, in some degree at least, to inherent differences in the two classes of students. On the other hand, that there is in American universities an ever increasing interest in contemporary affairs the large number of sporadic political clubs supply bundant proof. The failure of these undertakings to play a larger part than they do in the life of the University is in large measure a result of their very numbers, of the loss of energy through its diffusion into too large a number of channels, in the failure to concentrate in the development of a single institution which shall be the centre for the discussion of political and other public affairs. The best single model of such an institution which could be followed is the Oxford Union--a world famous forum for the discussion of every leading question of the day, a debating ground in which the proven leaders are practically assured of a seat in Parliament. The Harvard Forum of a year or two ago were the modest beginnings of an attempt to follow the famous English model--and incidentally to solve at the same time the ever present problem of the Union. While it is to be hoped that the Forum have not permanently perished under the care of the Speakers' Club, the dispersion of the limited energy of the nature which the Forum had anticipated attracting to itself was sufficient to prevent the holding of a single meeting last year. The loss would perhaps not have been so great if a single one of the newer organizations had shown sufficient promise to replace the Forum. But with the Economics Society, the Political Science Club, the Socialist club, the Speakers' Club, and other organizations of a like nature all vying with one another for popular support, the possibility of any one club developing sufficient prestige to even be worthy of comparison with the Oxford Union is only too evident.

The proposal to create an organization which shall have as its primary purpose, the furthering of greater interest in political affairs throughout the University and the registering of an increased number of eligible voters is highly desirable. The mistake would be made, however, in the creation of an additional club in the resulting duplication of machinery and decrease in efficiency to accomplish a purpose for which existing organizations are already well fitted. It is to be hoped that any action which will be taken at the meeting in the Union tonight will be a step towards and not away from the ultimate ideal of an organization which shall really lead in the University's discussion of public affairs.