GYMNASIUM PLAN POSTPONED
PRESENT CONTRIBUTIONS TO BE USED ON RESUMPTION OF PROJECT.
Owing to lack of sufficient graduate backing and to present financial conditions, the gymnasium committee has decided to discontinue further canvassing of the undergraduates for subscriptions to the gymnasium fund.
The campaign for funds with which to build the new gymnasium was first started in April, 1913, at the instigation of certain graduates, who at that time planned to start a general graduate campaign as soon as sufficient money had been donated by the undergraduates to insure their co-operation and interest in the scheme. This was the understanding on which the committee then appointed based its campaign, and it was with this understanding that the members of the contributing classes subscribed.
The campaign has continued for a year and a half, netting the sum of $9,798.68, and still no further move has been made by the graduates, nor does it seem likely that one will be made. Under these circumstances it has seemed advisable to the committee to discontinue further collecting. Furthermore, in order that the money already donated may be of permanent use, this sum will be turned over to the Corporation to be invested until further action is taken in the matter. When the proposed gymnasium is finally built this money will be used for the construction of some individual part of the new building, which shall be known as the gift of the undergraduate classes of 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, and 1917.
It is to be hoped that the voluntary contribution of such a sum by the undergraduates of the University will not pass unnoticed or unrewarded, but will prove the opening wedge that will eventually result in the construction of a new and modern gymnasium through equal loyalty on the part of the graduates.