BOWL CENTRE OF ATTENTION

ANNUAL STRUGGLE TOMORROW TO CHRIETEN YALE'S NEW EDIFICE.

Tomorrow afternoon the University team will meet the Yale eleven in the new Bowl at New Haven at 2 o'clock. 70,000 people will witness the start of the thirty-fourth game between the two universities since 1875, which will this year determine the championship of the East. The game will be distinctly a struggle for supremacy between two different styles of attack, inasmuch as critics concede the abilities of the men comprising either team to be practically equal. Should the double and triple lateral passes which Yale has so successfully promulgated this season result in victory, the wide open game, the worth the result that the runner has made a substantial gain through the line. The men all tackle hard, and seldom miss getting to the basis of the play.

Pennock Best Guard.

Pennock is superior in every way to Conway and Walden of Yale, and Weston, the University guard. Experienced, powerful and aggressive, he has few equals at the guard position. The Yale guards, like the tackles have a tendency to play too high, otherwise they are far above the ordinary in ability. Weston is good, but there is a limit to his possibilities.

Wallace, the University centre is a much better defensive man than White, the man who fills in at the pivot position on the Yale team, but in all other phases of the game the two men are nearly of like ability. White, however, passes the ball end over end a method which requires unlimited practice in order to properly judge the angle at which the back will receive the ball, while Wallace uses the safer and more certain spiral pass.

Wilson and Logan are perfect exponents of two distinctly different types of quarterbacks. Logan, handles the ball securely, manages the team with excellent judgment passes well and is a sure tackler; but owing to his stature, he is not fit for the more rugged work of the game. Wilson, a good field general, who handles the team well and passes beautifully is capable, moreover, of plunging through the line on sudden shifts and playing a strong game on the secondary defence.

Bradlee, because of his greater weight, is superior to Ainsworth in line smashing and in forming interference, but the latter has exceptional speed and frequently slips through unexpected places in the line for gains of considerable length. Bradlee's work as a secondary defensive man is doubtless marked to a greater degree than that of any man on either team; he is practically impregnable.

Francke and Knowles will do the greater part of the line-plunging for each team. Knowles is the more experienced, and in addition has a remarkable faculty for sending off long passes; but Francke, although somewhat crude in his work, has tremendous power, and is the better defensive player of the two.

Mahan and LeGore are probably the most brilliant players on their respective teams. LeGore, the "find" of the Yale season, passes exceptionally well, has demonstrated his ability to dodge opposing tacklers in a remarkable fashion, is extremely fast, and punts commendably. Mahan uses a change of pace, which is very deceptive to the tackler, has had a great deal of useful experience, and also passes exceptionally well. He is undoubtedly superior to LeGore in drop-kicking ability.

Analysis shows that in each team the line is inferior to the backfield. Consequently as much will depend on the unknown ability of the forward defences to withstand the attacks of the truly brilliant backfields, as will depend on the known strength of these backfields. Perhaps slightly the superior in the line, and of equal power in the backfield, the University team will rely for supremacy to a great extent on the drop-kicking ability of Mahan