18 FOUR-MILE COURSE TOO LONG?

Intercollegiate Rowing Association May Substitute a Three-Mile Event.

In all probability the death knell of the four-mile rowing course at Poughkeepsie has been sounded. The Intercollegiate Rowing Association, which is now composed of Cornell, Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania, is known to favor the shorter three-mile races, and although refusing to commit itself on the prospects of a change before the regatta next June, it is confidently expected that Cornell's renewed agitation will result in the change. Coach Courtney of Cornell and Coach Rice of Columbia are much in favor of the proposed shortening of the course, as they regard the four-mile contest too much of a strain. Coach Vivian Nickalls of Pennsylvania, however, believes that the shorter race would only mean rowing three miles proportionally faster and as a result with more likelihood of injury to the men.

In the event of the university contest being shortened to three miles there is a possibility that Princeton may enter the Poughkeepsie regatta. So far she has refused on the ground that she has had no opportunity to train for a four-mile race.