EDUCATORS TO CONVENE HERE

PRESIDENT ELIOT AMONG THOSE TO SPEAK ON PURPOSE OF COLLEGE.

President Eliot will be one of the many well-known personages who will speak at the twenty-ninth meeting of the New England Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools to be held Friday and Saturday at Boston University. Dr. John H. Finley, Commissioner of Education for the State of New York will be the guest of honor at a dinner served at the Vendome Friday evening. After-dinner speakers include President L. H. Murlin, Boston University; Principal Lewis Perry, Phillips Exeter Academy; Dean Sarah Louise Arnold, Simmons College; President William A. Shanklin, Wesleyan University; President John M. Thomas, Middlebury College and Commissioner Finley.

On Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock in the Jacob Sleeper Hall of Boston University the various phases of the general subject, "What is the College for?" will be discussed under the following subtopics: "The Place of Culture," by President Eliot; "The Place of Disciplinary Training," Professor Edward L. Thorndike, Teachers College, Columbia University; and "The Place of Specific Preparation," by Professor William Ernest Hocking of the University.

A business meeting will be held Saturday morning, immediately following which, the general topic "What is the College for?" will be discussed from the following various viewpoints: "The Place of Athletics," by Principal Alfred E. Stearns, of Phillips Academy, Andover; "The Place of 'Student Activities'," by President Alexander Merklejohn, of Amherst College; and "The Ideal College" by Commissioner John H. Fenley of New York State.