IMPORTANT SOCIAL SERVICE WORK

Professor T. N. Carver Writes of Chances for Wider Experience.

Professor T. N. Carver, writing on "Social Service and the Student" for the Phillips Brooks--House Social Service pamphlet, outlines in the following words the opportunities for social service activities for the undergraduates, and the benefits which they may derive from it.

"The Social Service Committee of the Phillips Brooks House Association desires to bring to the attention of students of the University those opportunities for social service which lie nearest at hand. Believing that all useful work is social service, even though we make our living by it, and that every serious student is preparing himself for some kind of useful work, this committee has no desire to attract the students' attention away from that kind of social service. Nevertheless, there are present opportunities for active and positive service which may be carried on by a student while he is preparing for future vocational service. To spend a few hours a week in the performance of these avocational forms of social service which are immediately productive will not hinder, but help in the preparation for vocational service in the future."

About a hundred and sixty students from all departments of the University are each year engaged in active service as instructors, in classes ranging from the most elementary grades to college subjects. The time given is an hour or two a week for classes, besides the necessary time for preparation. All sorts of subjects are taught, reading, writing, arithmetic, mathematics, public speaking and many others. The members of the classes are usually mature men and women who wish to better their education. Many classes are held for foreigners.

More men are needed by the association to carry on work of this kind. Those who are interested in the work may secure further particulars at Phillips Brooks House any morning.