WHERE ARE THE GUESTS?

At times the hosts in the interdormitory smoker series have been almost discouraged at the failure of their guests to put in any appearance. At other times the promoters of the series have been likewise discouraged at the failure of those present--hosts and occasional guests--to mix.

It is hopeless to remind, men that the purpose of the series is to extend acquaintance, and command them therefore to commence extension, for man is not the sort of animal to respond to such behests. It is not hopeless to remind certain of them that they are guests of honor and that according to the laws of politeness they should attend. Tonight Thayer Hall and, as always, men living outside the Yard, are particularly bidden to the Hollis-Matthews entertainment.

Last year the smokers were a success, which means that men did not attend them for reasons of politeness only. This year men cannot be expected to attend them indefinitely for reasons of politeness only. They should attend their first one, however, for that reason if for no other, with a full appreciation of the purpose of the smokers. If then they are led to attend no more, well and good; the present Senior class must be decidedly less naturally social than that which graduated last June.