REPORTING OF LOSSES.

Too few students realize that keeping order is merely an incidental duty of the University's police force, and that as a matter of fact its chief service is the protection it is unobtrusively but with increasing effectiveness affording the members of the University against thieves and other offenders. A few years ago the present detective system was not in force, and light-fingered gentry in the guise of pedlars, mendicants, and the like, roamed through the College dormitories almost at will. It is only natural since arrests by the College police are not as a rule heralded in the papers, that more is heard about articles lost than about those recovered; but under the increased vigilance of the present system, thefts due to carelessness in this regard at least have been reduced to a minimum.

There is one thing, however, in which the students themselves must help. Any member of the University who has reason to suppose that any article he misses has been stolen, should at once report the missing article and the circumstances of its loss to the Yard police. However trivial the loss may seem, it is from such clues that detection of the culprit and return of the stolen property have resulted in several instances. Not for his own sake alone, but for the sake of his fellow-students, the loser should co-operate with the Yard detectives in this way.