Working of Tennis System.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

After a clamor lasting several years, we have at last obtained a system at Jarvis Field whereby we may reserve courts in advance. The system, obviously has its great advantages, but there still remains what seems to me to be a defect, as worked out in the experience of the past two weeks.

I mean the principle of reserving courts in advance, without being tied down in any way to making use of the privilege. In no theatre can one reserve seats right up to the time of the performance, and it seems to me that the same principle should apply here. As the scheme has worked out, men reserve courts and, later finding themselves unable to use them, simply fail to claim them. The vacancies remain filled according to the charts, however, and later applicants are thus prevented from reserving courts. I have also heard that there are men who abuse the privilege to the extent of signing up for courts at different hours under different names, and then using which ever court they prefer later.

All this may very easily be obviated by requiring payment for the courts at the time reserved, which will have the additional advantage of dispensing with collection on the grounds. With the court paid for, a man discovering later that he cannot use it will notify the attendant and have his money refunded, whereupon his name will then be crossed off the chart and the place left vacant for later applicants. L. G. DEL CASTILLO '14.