MEET YALE'S BY EASY MARGIN

VISITORS SHOW MARKED SUPERIORITY OVER UNIVERSITY ON TRACK.

Through a clean-cut and unmistakable superiority over Harvard in all the events except the dashes, jumps and two-mile run, Yale gained a well-deserved victory by the score of 66 1-2 to 37 1-2 in the twenty-third annual dual track games, held in the Stadium Saturday afternoon. Yale has now won four legs to Harvard's two on the nine-year cup offered by graduates of the two universities. The victories for each University since 1891 now stand: Harvard 11, Yale 12. Due to the favorable weather and the excellent condition of the track, there were a number of spectacular performances in both the field and track events. Three new dual records were made, and another tied.

Harvard fell down more heavily in the track events than was expected, but rather upset calculations in the jumps. The individual honors of the day go to Captain W. A. Barron, Jr., '14, who, running the dashes in competition for only the second time, secured two firsts without being closely pushed; and to W. F. Potter, of Yale, who captured both hurdle events. J. O. Johnstone '16, in his first meet with Yale, performed unusually well, taking a first in the broad jump and second in the high jump.

Jackson Shut Out in Hurdles.

The first disappointment of the day came when A. L. Jackson '14 was shut out in the first and fastest heat of the high hurdles by W. F. Potter and W. M. Shedden, Jr., both of Yale. The time, 15 4-5 seconds, tied the dual record. These last two, together with C. A. Willetts, scored a clean sweep for Yale in the finals of this event. Two Harvard men, Barron and J. L. Foley '15 reached the finals of the 100-yard dash, but the latter was unable to place. Barron won from T. H. Cornell, Yale's best sprinter, by about two yards. The 220-yard dash was much like the 100, except that Foley secured a point by finishing just behind Cornell.

V. Wilkie, of Yale, took advantage of his pole position in the quarter mile by sprinting at full speed for the first 300 yards, opening up a seven-yard lead on W. J. Bingham '16. The latter gradually closed up the gap but was unable to catch the Yale man, who crossed the tape in 49 1-5 seconds.

Captain G. F. Brown, of Yale, jumped into the lead in the half-mile and set the pace throughout., Finishing the first quarter in 57 seconds, he was unable to shake off. F. W. Capper '15, who stuck at his heels until the last stretch. Brown, in the last 100 yards, showed a wonderful burst of speed, beating Capper by 10 yards and cutting the dual record by 3-5 of a second.

Another clean sweep came to Yale when R. W. Poucher, H. W. Smith and H. McK. Hatch finished in the order named in the mile-run. Poucher more than lived up to the reports made of his work. He took the lead from the start and was never threatened. H. G. MacLure '15 was with the leaders for three-quarters of a mile, but on the last lap fell behind.

Stirring Two-Mile Run.

The two-mile run was easily the best distance event of the day. During the first six laps, the race seemed to lie between R. St.B. Boyd '14, F. H. Blackman '14, and C. E. Clark and D. F. Frost of Yale. These four, alternating in the lead, raced within five yards of each other for 1 3-4 miles. Coming into the last quarter, Clark opened up a lead which he held down the back stretch. Boyd, however, had run his race with admirable judgment, and finally exhibited a wonderful sprint which left Clark 10 yards in the rear. Boyd ran the last quarter in 1 minute, 2 4-5 seconds, and the two miles in 9 minutes, 42 4-5 seconds, beating his own record of 9 minutes, 45 seconds. C. Southworth '15, meanwhile, had surprised everyone by his remarkable reserve strength, coming from a poor fifth and passing Frost and Blackman with ease.

One Point in Weight Events.

Meanwhile, the weight events were resulting unsatisfactorily. Due to the fouling of H. Sturgis '15, Yale was enabled to win all three places in the hammer-throw, although the Harvard man surpassed P. Loughridge's throw by 3 ft. C. E. Brickley '15 scored one point in the shotput with a throw of 41 feet, 9 1-4 inches. The high jump saw W. M. Oler of Yale, and J. O. Johnstone '16 fighting it out for first place. The latter stopped at six feet, but Oler cleared 6 ft., 1 1-2 inches. R. A. Douglas of Yale took third. Immediately afterwards, Johnstone made his winning jump of 22 feet, 10 inches in the broad jump, while two Yale men tied for second.

Another first place came to Harvard when J. B. Camp '15 cleared the bar at 12 feet and won the pole vault. L. G. Richards '16 and H. W. Johnstone, of Yale, were forced to divide three points, tieing at 11 feet, 9 inches. In an exhibition vault, Camp just missed clearing 12 feet, 7 inches, which would have set a new dual second.

Summary of Track Events.

100-yard dash.--Won by W. A. Barron, Jr., '14; second, T. H. Cornell (Y.).; third, L. L. Ricketts (Y.). Time, 10 1-5s.

220-yard dash.--Won by W. A. Barron, Jr., '14; second, T. H. Cornell (Y.); third, J. L. Foley '15. Time, 23s.

440-yard dash.--Won by V. Wilkie (Y.); second, W. J. Bingham '16; third, J. C. Rock '15. Time, 49 1-5s.

880-yard run.--Won by G. E. Brown (Y.); second, F. W. Capper '15; third, R. M. Scotten (Y.). Time, 1 m., 54s. (Breaks dual record 1m., 54 3-5s., made by G. E. Brown (Y.) in 1913).

One-mile run.--Won by R. W. Poucher (Y.); second, H. W. Smith (Y.); third, H. McK. Hatch (Y.). Time, 4m., 23s. (Breaks dual record of 4m., 26s., made by H. J. Norris (Y.) in 1913).

Two-mile run.--Won by R. St.B. Boyd '14; second, C. E. Clark (Y.); third, C. Southworth '15. Time, 9m., 42 4-5s. (Breaks dual record of 9m., 45s., made by R. St.B. Boyd (H.) in 1912).

120-yard high hurdles.--Won by W. F. Potter (Y.); second, W.M. Shedden, Jr. (Y.); third, C. A. Willetts (Y.). Time, 16s.

220-yard low hurdles.--Won by W. F. Potter (Y.); second, W. M. Shedden, Jr. (Y.); third, A. L. Jackson '14. Time, 25 2-5s.

Summary of Field Events.

Running High jump.--Won by W. M. Oler (Y.); second, J. O. Johnstone '16; third, R. A. Douglas (Y.). Height, 6 ft., 1 1-2 in.

Running broad jump.--Won by J. O. Johnstone '16; second, tie between A. H. Hampton (Y.) and R. E. Matthews (Y.). Distance, 22 ft., 10 1-2 in.

Pole-vault.--Won by J. B. Camp '15; second, tie between H. W. Johnstone (Y.) and L. G. Richards '16. Height, 12 ft.

16-pound shot-put.--Won by H. Harbison (Y.); second, W. F. Roos (Y.); third, C. E. Brickley '15. Distance, 44 ft., 9 3-4 in.

16-pound hammer-throw.--Won by P. Loughridge (Y.); second, R. S. Cooney (Y.); third, N. S. Talbott (Y.). Distance, 146 ft., 11 in.

Points by Events.Event,  H.  Y.100-yard dash,  5  3220-yard dash,  6  2440-yard dash,  3  5880-yard run,  2  6One-mile run,  0  8Two-mile run,  6  2120-yard high hurdles,  0  8220-yard low hurdles,  1  7High jump,  2  6Broad jump,  5  3Pole-vault,  6 1-2  1 1-2Shot-put,  1  7Hammer-throw,  0  8Totals,  37 1-2  66 1-2Track events,  23  41Field events,  14 1-2  25 1-2Firsts,  5  8Seconds,  3  9Thirds,  5  7One tie for second